Saturday, March 8, 2014

The perfect laundry space...for me

When my husband and I decided to remodel our main floor, I put just as much thought into the design of our laundry room as I did the kitchen or family room. Because I absolutely despise doing laundry, I wanted to create a space that was not only functional but pretty. The type of place I would want to spend time in. The type of place where I would want to do laundry. {I know, nobody wants to do laundry.}


I started by identifying my goals for the space. Not only did the laundry room need to perform the obvious task of washing clothes, it also needed to serve as the central location for all things related to entering and exiting our home. I needed a place to:


  1. wash the laundry,
  2. hang coats and store shoes,
  3. house items we use on a regular basis {like Sunday school and library books}, and
  4. store a plethora of cleaning supplies.


Once we had a defined purpose for the room, I came up with a design that best suited the needs of the space, keeping in mind the measurements of some of the larger items {such as the washer, dryer, and even the vacuum}.


The new stackable washer and dryer allowed for more creative storage options then our old, conventional side-by-side models, and ready-to-assemble cabinets give them a built-in appearance. While I’ll go into greater detail regarding the organization of this space in a future post, cabinets, storage baskets and coat hooks all play a pivotal role in the organization of this space.



After failing to find just the right area rug to match the burgundy-colored walls I had already painted, I decided to take a different approach. I threw away all my preconceived notions regarding what color or style the rug ought to be, and relied on the visceral feeling I got when I looked at the rugs. In the end, I chose this one simply because it made me smile.


Here’s why I love this rug so much:


  1. It’s really thick, making it a durable option for a high-traffic area like a mud room {a rare find under $100}.
  2. It has a busy pattern, perfect for disguising the dirt that inevitably gets tracked in from outside.
  3. It has a lovely selection of colors to pull from when decorating the rest of the room {including cream to match the cabinetry and white to match the appliances}.
  4. And lastly, did I mention that it makes me smile? :)


I stepped out of my comfort zone a bit when I pulled the navy blue color for the walls. While it matched one of the accent colors in the rug perfectly, the bold color isn’t one I’d typically use in my home. But I kept telling myself: It’s only paint, cheap and easy to change. It was a bit of a risk for this devotee of all things neutral, but one that really paid off. Two coats later and I couldn’t be happier with how it turned out. It’s dramatic, sophisticated, and modern. Isn’t it amazing what a simple coat of paint can do!


I unified all the accessories by painting them the same accent color--another color pulled from the rug. The metal key box and framing mats were all sprayed a beautiful shade of green. I think they really pop against the navy blue walls.


The chandelier adds a whimsical touch to the space. Besides providing drama, it offers an incredible amount of light {especially important for this windowless room}. It also beautifully highlights the pictures of my family, a personal touch to the space that really makes my heart sing.


Now that I have designed the perfect laundry room, I find myself visiting the room more often than I need to just to admire the space. It’s amazing how the smallest things {or, in this case, the smallest room} can make a big impact.

1 comment:

  1. I love it! Great job Louise! It is so creative and cozy place! I just felt like I wanted to sit there and read a book! Love the mats on the frames! Bold move!

    ReplyDelete