Friday, August 1, 2014

Guest Room Layout & Color Inspiration

If you're anything like me, you enjoy having house guests. While we're fortunate enough to have a dedicated guest room, the space is a bit lackluster. With two little ones running around, there have always been higher priorities. I've made several attempts over the years to make small changes to the room of mix-match furniture, but frankly it's like putting lipstick on a sow. Now I finally have the time to give the space some real TLC.

Here's a picture of the room during our initial walk through. Furniture aside {since it's not ours}, it's not a bad space for a guest bedroom. There's enough room for a queen size bed and two nightstands, but the awkward layout makes placing furniture a bit tricky.


My first task was to get out my handy tape measure and jot down the dimensions of the space, being sure to include the window, door and closets. Using a free online room planner, I was able to determine the best {okay, only} spot for the bed as well as what I could get away with in regards to the other furniture pieces.



I already have a beautiful queen size bed for the room--a throw-back to my days as a singleton. The French Rococo style, with it’s hand-carved details culminating in a central cartouche, is too ornate for my husband who prefers mission style {talk about design polar opposites}, so the bed got relegated to the guest bedroom {sigh}.


The large, matching nightstand added further complications to the already tight layout by greatly restricting the size of the other bedside table. The online room planner was instrumental in determining what would work best in the space before I went to the great expense of purchasing the additional furniture needed.

While the space doesn't allow for a dresser {and frankly who needs one for short-term guests}, once I take the doors off one of the closets I’ll be able to comfortably fit a console table and mirror. This will be a great space for people to primp and place small items like keys and wallets.

Though a reading chair won't fit due to the weird configuration of the room, I am able to include a bench at the foot of the bed. Not only will it offer my guests a place to sit while putting on shoes {especially important for my older visitors}, but it serves double duty as a spot to place luggage while unpacking.

I’ll also be reusing a beautiful comforter by Waverly that I've been holding onto for the past year. A cast-off from my daughter's old bedroom, the floral pattern is very much in line with the French provincial style I’m striving for. The fabric also offers an abundance of color inspiration, including various shades of yellow, red, green and blue.



I can’t wait to share pictures when it’s complete. Are you tackling a guest bedroom remodel? What do you find most important for a guest space?

No comments:

Post a Comment